- Watch the The Queen’s Gambit Chess Launch Trailer, unveiled by Netflix today
- The game is made by Liverpool based games company Ripstone
A love letter to the award-winning Netflix limited series, the game welcomes players to Beth Harmon’s world as they take lessons, play puzzles and compete in chess matches with the help of Beth Harmon and her unique gift for chess.
Fans of the series will recognize familiar faces including Mr. Shaibel and Borgov, and visit iconic locations including Beth’s house, the Methuen orphanage, the epic Las Vegas tournament and more.
The game is developed by Rockwater Games, a Ripstone studio based in the Baltic Triangle in Liverpool.
“Getting the opportunity to work on a beloved IP like The Queen’s Gambit is incredibly exciting for all of us here at Ripstone,” said Phil Gaskell, Creative Director and Co-Founder at Ripstone.
“We’ve set out to create a ‘love letter to The Queen’s Gambit’ and a new benchmark for chess on mobile by channelling our own love of the show, our years of experience creating successful simulations, and the incredible creativity of our team. We’re making a game that I know fans of the limited series are going to love and that truly offers something for chess players of every level.”
- Ripstone, in partnership with Netflix, today launched a new game The Queen’s Gambit Chess onto Netflix Games on iOS and Android.
- A love letter to the award-winning Netflix limited series, The Queen’s Gambit, the game welcomes players to Beth Harmon’s world as they take lessons, play puzzles and compete in chess matches.
- When The Queen’s Gambit first aired in 2020, it sparked a surge in interest in chess, which has continued since (source). Now fans can watch the limited series and play the game on the same service, included with all Netflix memberships.
- Announced at Netflix GEEKED WEEK today by Geoff Keighley and Mari Takahashi, with a trailer and initial game details revealed, The Queen’s Gambit Chess will be a new mobile chess game based on the award-winning Netflix series The Queen’s Gambit:
- In a 3-minute segment dedicated to The Queen’s Gambit Chess, the hosts unveiled an exclusive trailer showing the game’s beautiful 3D visuals with familiar characters and locations, then provided an overview of the game’s impressive feature set, boasting lots of modes for solo play and multiplayer and a lavish visual style that promises to be “a love letter to the show”
- Familiar characters from the series like Mr. Shaibel and Beth Harmon herself will coach and challenge players of all abilities, helping them enjoy the timeless game and unleash their inner grandmaster
- The trailer hints at six stunning settings to play in, covering many of the beautiful 1960’s locations fans of the series will recognise instantly, including: Beth’s House, The Mariposa Hotel in Las Vegas, the Methuen Orphanage and more. Players can tap into Beth’s super-power for chess, looking up to the ceiling to work out the best possible move, just like she does in the iconic series
- Described as “the perfect introduction to chess”, The Queen’s Gambit Chess promises to provide a fun and friendly chess experience for all players, whether you’re an aspirational apprentice, new to chess, or a seasoned veteran with years of experience, the game will coach and challenge every player on their own level
- The game is created by Rockwater Games, a new Ripstone Games studio from the creators of Chess Ultra, the leading chess console experience described by Kotaku as “the Gran Turismo of chess”