Support and funding to commercialise high energy technologies.
The STFC CERN Business incubation Centre offers extensive support to entrepreneurs aiming to take high energy technologies from an initial innovative concept to market.
It combines the incubation experience of STFC with the unique opportunity to access STFC and CERN intellectual property (IP), technologies and expertise. The centre helps businesses to grow from technical concept to market reality, from small start-ups into thriving high-tech companies.
What support is available?
The BIC provides an ideal package of both funding and business support to accelerate innovative business concepts, including:
- £40,000 of total funding for use on intellectual property protection, design, prototyping, market studies etc.
- Access up to 40 hours of CERN and 40 hours of STFC scientists and technical expertise
- Use of CERN intellectual property at favourable conditions
- Access to collaboration and networking opportunities through the STFC and CERN networks
- Wider access to potential sources of financial support through STFC’s links with venture capitalists and funding bodies
Who is eligible?
Technologies from CERN can find wide reaching applications in everyday use, across a broad range of market sectors and if the technology fits our scheme criteria, we want to hear from you. Typically the business or idea would have real-life applications across a range of industries and sectors.
You can apply to the STFC CERN BIC if:
- Your idea involves the transfer of high-energy physics technology into a new application and market sector
- Your company is a start-up or young technology company less than five years old
- Sci-Tech Daresbury, Liverpool City Region
- Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
- Royal Observatory, Edinburgh