SME businesses are operating in uncertain times. Growth Platform’s Business Resilience Programme is providing SME leaders with the opportunity to step back from the day-to-day and rethink their approach to challenges so they can turn them into opportunities. To stimulate the local economy within the Liverpool City Region and support regional businesses back to growth, Growth Platform will be working with accounting and business advisory firm, BDO to deliver a series of workshops for 130 regional businesses providing them with the knowledge, insight and tools they need to stabilise and grow.
The programme will give Liverpool City Region businesses:
- The opportunity to step back from the day-to-day and realign their goals
- A business diagnostic designed to identify barriers to growth
- A practical action plan accompanied by post-workshop support to meet key growth goals
The Business Resilience Programme is an initiative that is funded by the Combined Authority and has been developed by Growth platform as part of a suite of measures to support Liverpool City Region businesses as they push for growth and seek to realise new opportunities.
The programme has been developed with the accounting and business advisory firm, BDO, to provide SMEs leaders with the tools, resources, and most importantly, the support they need to get their businesses back on track amid a turbulent year. They will gain the opportunity to rethink their strategy and vision in order to come back stronger from the current economic challenges, to build resilience in their business; and to identify future growth opportunities.
Outputs will include:
- An assessment of the health of the business, looking across people, markets, finances and operations
- Benchmarking against competition and best in class measures
- Strategic challenge and prioritisation for the next steps the business should take
By supporting SME leaders in stabilising their businesses and identifying growth opportunities, Growth Platform hopes to stimulate economic growth in the region which will translate into jobs and a brighter future for the region and its population.
The programme is being funded by the Combined Authority, offered by Growth Platform and is being delivered by accounting and business advisory firm, BDO LLP.
The programme will run from December 2020 until May 2021 and is open to 130 SME leaders operating in the Liverpool City region.
- 130 SME leaders will be selected to take part in the programme upon completing an application form via the Growth Platform website (https://growthplatform.org/business-resilience-programme/)
- Each business leader will benefit from research into the internal and external threats which impact their organisation via a specialist diagnostic assessment undertaken by BDO.
- They will then take part in a tailored workshop which will support them in identifying challenges, aligning their business plans and designing the actions they need to take to stabilise and get their organisation back to growth.
- On completing the workshop, leaders will be given the support, guidance and tools they need to develop practical business action plans which will look to drive growth via a number of routes including, but not limited to, developing new markets and products, accessing funding and growing profitability in the business.
- The programme will give business leaders the external perspective they need to assess where their business needs to be heading; what success in a rapidly changing global market looks like; and what business decisions need to be made in order to strengthen resilience and positively impact growth potential in the near future.
- As part of the diagnostic testing carried out by BDO, business leaders will get a renewed perspective on what their business could be doing better and where vital strengths and weaknesses lie within their business model and operations.
- The programme will also help business leaders to explore growth opportunities, providing independent external challenge to ensure strategic success. Workshops will explore people, markets, innovation, sales, finances and operations and measure against best in class definitions and identify steps required to build resilience.
- Cost savings, greater operating efficiency, people effectiveness and the boosting of company productivity are all areas the programme is designed to support with.
The programme is open to businesses that meet the following criteria:
- Be part of an SME business based in the Liverpool City Region
- Member of their SME business’ senior management team
- Employ between 10 – 250 employees
- Turnover £1million – c.£30 million per annum
- Have the availability to dedicate time to completing a short workshop session
- Have an aspiration to grow in the coming years
- On completing the workshop element of the programme, SME leaders will be equipped with a key business actions designed to prioritise activity where it will have the greatest business impact, as identified from the diagnostic findings and growth aspirations for their business. Each plan is tailored to the SME in question
- In addition, BDO will provide programme after care which will see it continue to support businesses in actioning their bespoke business plan and reaching their growth goals. This could involve support at senior management meetings, or regular reviews of progress with BDO.
To apply, SME leaders need to ensure they meet all of the eligibility points outlined in point 5 of this document and fill out the registration form on this page.